Monday 8 August 2011

Rained off at Lound

Friday evening I decided to have a go in the reed bed at Lound Lakes as I'd been working in another area of the site cutting some rush pasture. I suspect that I was a bit late as all that I caught for my effort was two retrap Whitethroats that I'd ringed during the ringing demonstration given by East Norfolk RG in May. It was good to see that they could both still be aged as 5 which is the age code I'd assigned upon first capture.

Saturday should have been a good morning and looked promising when shortly after putting up the 30' and 40' nets in one of the woodland compartments at Lound they'd caught 4 Blackcaps and a Coal Tit. Almost immediately upon releasing the Coal Tit, however, the heavens opened and I rushed to close the nets hoping that it would soon pass. After quarter of an hour I decided that I had little option but to give up, pack up and go home. The ringing gear was almost dry the next day!

The heavy shower wasn't forecast and I wasn't the only one to get caught out.

No comments:

Post a Comment