Wednesday 21 December 2011

A Hampshire weekend

Sat 17 - Mon 19 December 2011

The weekend before Christmas was spent visiting my parents in Hampshire. The weather forecast wasn't great but my 30' mist net was soon erected in their small semi-rural back garden. Despite their location on the edge of the newly designated South Downs National Park the birdlife visiting their garden is limited to a small range of garden species taking advantage of their feeding station; Collared Doves and Blackbirds being regular garden visitors.

Over three short morning sessions seven birds were caught. I was interested in the number of Blackbirds visiting the garden and in the end four were caught with another two bouncing. Two Dunnocks were caught flying away from the seed feeders but the highlight of the weekend was a Magpie trapped after it hurtled towards two Starlings feeding on fat balls. I had observed the Magpie sitting on the garden fence and thought that there would be little chance of it finding the net so my attention was diverted by a couple of starlings that had landed on the fat ball feeder, hoping that perhaps they would leave the feeders and fly into the net. I was startled therefore when the Magpie launched itself in what was clearly the direction of the Starlings. I have not previously encountered aggression by Magpies towards Starlings, although I'm sure it occurs, and the Magpie had not previously been noted visiting the feeders during the weekend of my visit.

Magpie caught whilst attacking Starlings

No comments:

Post a Comment